After reading this DIY “How to Make Wax Paper” you’ll never go back to grocery store to look for wax paper for your craft project. Secret spilled!!! You only need materials that you may have on hand that will cost you to almost nothing.
I mistakenly assume that wax paper and parchment are both the same. I only realized it when I made the clover leaf sun catcher project inspired by Martha Stewart’s Crayon and Wax Paper Heart.
When I saw that project I knew I have to make it so I ran to grocery store and bought a parchment paper thinking that it’s the same as wax paper. But to my dismay it din’t work out great. It was only that time that I have to search the difference of both.
Although both, wax and parchment paper, can be used for food preparation, wax paper cannot be baked simply because the paper is waxed in both sides of the paper. Once bake it will be melted resulting to burning the paper. Wax paper is usually use for food packaging.
Parchment paper on the other hand is grease- and moisture-resistant paper specially treated for oven use.
Aside from the use wax paper on food preparation, it is also greatly use for crafting. I believe you can buy it on supermarket. But you can make your own as well.
Here’s an Easy Way on How to Make a Wax Paper.
PLEASE NOTE THOUGH: THIS DIY WAX PAPER IS INTENDED FOR CRAFTING AND NOT FOR FOOD PREPARATION.
Also, make sure to do this in a well ventilated area. I find the fumes of the melted candle strong and you may not like it too.
Paper (printed, printing paper, colored paper, origami paper, old pages of a book). I used pastel color paper in this project.
Candles (shredded; you can use those candles that wicks are no longer working)
- To protect your iron board from wax residue, cover it with old piece of cloth.
- Fold parchment Paper into half.
- Open the folded parchment paper and evenly spread the shredded candle. Make sure to have about 2 inches of space from it’s edges to prevent the spillage of the melted candle.
- Cover the shredded candle by folding the parchment paper over it
- Run the hot iron over it until all the shredded candle are melted.
- Open the folded parchment paper. Then place the paper that you want to wax.
- Fold the parchment paper over the paper and run the hot iron on it. Make sure to spread the melted candle on the paper. You will easily see if part of the paper is wax or not.
- Let it cool and remove.
- If you see or feel lumpy texture on the wax paper you can put it in between paper towel and run hot iron over it. This absorbs the excess melted candle. You can repeat this procedure until you achieve the smoothness of your waxed paper.
That’s it! Just like what I said you’ll never go back to grocery store to order.
The wax paper becomes thicker and the translucency of it is perfect for crafting just like the Sun Catcher Clover leaf I did for St. Patrick’s Day. Actually the craft ideas for this are endless. I will surely share my future projects so keep updated. If you don’t want to miss it, simply be my subscriber. BONUS!!! You’ll have access on my freebie library.
P.S. Don’t forget to to pin if you like this DIY.