MAKE THIS GIANT ICE CREAM PROP THAT WILL SURELY WOW YOUR GUESTS.
The Candy Land Themed Party decor that we did was one of the projects that we are proud of. It was truly an eye-candy to everyone. But what really popped up among the props was the giant ice cream. I think we pulled on this one.
This giant ice cream could be a perfect prop for the ice cream themed party, summer party or any party that you think this will fit in. Or simply an add-on to your ice cream cart or your store. It’s a fun way to have it. And I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be the perfect photo props too. Want to know how I made it?
If not, just have fun drooling on this one…
But if you are interested to learn how to make it just read the rest of the blog post.
I have to ask sorry though for lacking pictures of the step by step guide. I had no time to take pictures because it was a rush project. Nevertheless, I will provide a drawing on how I did it. Hopefully, this will help.
Also, we used paper mache techniques for this project. So if you want to make it be prepared for the messiness. So basically you’ll need glue and water for this.
For paper mache, use 1 part of glue and 1 part of water mixed well.
Ice Cream Cone
What you need:
Corrugated boxes (preferably large) which you can get from your local grocery stores or any merchandise store.
Glue gun and glue sticks
strips of newspaper
And the glue and water mixture for paper mache
Paint (choose one that is closed to the color of ice cream cone)
As mentioned above I didn’t have a picture of the step by step guide so please refer to the picture below on how I did the ice cream cone.
To make the cone stand up, you can put a box in between the circles as shown in the illustration below
NOTE: The ice cream that I made is about 5 feet tall that includes the 2 scoops of ice cream. So my dimension here is according to what I made. You can adjust the dimension according to your preferred size of the ice cream.
- Cut circles with the following dimensions:
C1 & C2 – about 24″ in diameter circle since I used 24″ balloon
C3 – about 20″ in diameter
C4 – about 15″ in diameter
C5 – about 10″ in diameter
- Cut rectangles with the following dimensions:
R1 – 4″ x 75.36″ . Length should at least cover the whole edge/circumference of the big circles (C1 & C2)
R2 & R3 – 1 cm x 75.50″ or at least the last point should meet the beginning point. Adding this will add an effect of a dimension of the top part of the ice cream cone. (please refer to the picture above)
- Curl your rectangle (R1) cardboard. Then glue its edge around C1 edge. Now glue the edge of C2 about an inch from the other side/edge of R1. This will form like a cylinder.
- Glue R2 on the top side of the cylinder that you just made and R3 on the lower side.
- For the body of the cone, cut 20 or more strips of rectangles (1″ x 1 meter). Then glue it around the C3, C4 & C5 as shown in the picture below.
- Glue the body of the cone to the cylinder (refer to picture above b –>a).
- Now you have the foundation of the giant ice cream cone. All you need to do is cover with strips of newspaper around the ice cream cone or a cardstock around the body.
- For the effect of texture in the body of the ice cream cone, criss-cross strings around the body.
- Then cover again with layer of strips of newspaper (paper mache) and let it dry completely.
- Paint it with white and it let dry completely.
- Then paint it with a color similar to an ice cream cone. I mixed brown, white and yellow to achieve the color. You can experiment.
What you need:
24 inch balloon
Newspaper (cut into strips)
Paint (your desired color)
Insulating Spray Foam
- All you need is to do paper mache using the 24″ balloon as the shape if the ice cream.
In case you missed to read the paper mache mixture, it’s 1 part of glue and 1 part of water.
- Dip strip of newspaper to the mixture and take out the excess mixture. Then put it on the balloon. Cover at least 3/4 of the balloon. Let it dry completely.
- Put another layer of newspaper strips. at least four layers of this. But always allow every layer to dry completely before adding one.
- Once you get the desired thickness, pop the balloon.
- Then put some fillers/or stuffing inside. It is now ready for construction for the whole ice cream on a cone.
Installation of the Ice Cream on the Cone
- Put first paper mache balloon on top of the cone. Secure it using a glue gun.
- Use white paint to cover the prints on newspaper. It’s not necessary, you can paint the color paints directly on it. I only painted it with white paint first just to make sure that the newspaper prints are visible.
- For the melting effect on the side of the ice cream, spray some insulating spray foam (my secret of adding that melted effect of the ice cream). Let it dry completely before adding a new layer.
- Then paint your desired color of the ice cream.
- Add the second paper mache balloon on top by securing it with the glue gun.
- Paint it white.
- Then spray the insulating spray foam around it.
- Paint the desired color of your ice cream.
And that’s it! Hope you enjoy the tutorial. Don’t forget to pin it for your future reference.
How about DIY giant lollipop? Check my tutorial on how to make it.
Or check this video tutorial